Sunday, February 25, 2007

Crunch

Ever eaten a grasshopper?
I just ate two during dinner, thanks to a Mexican friend -- Andres, who brought a whole bagful of them over to my house this evening. How do I describe the taste? Umm...salty, crunchy, the after taste is somewhat like amla, or Indian gooseberry.

This is what Wikipedia says about chapulines or the kind of grasshoppers we ate tonight:
Chapulines are considered a delicacy by many Mexicans. They are collected only at certain times of year. They are thoroughly cleaned and washed out, then fried withchillies, garlic and lemon juice, to create a sour-spicy-salty taste that is a good complement for beer. Chapulines are available only in certain parts of Mexico, the state and city of Oaxaca being best known. They are available in varying sizes, small to large. They are known to have been used as food for over 3000 years.

Thanks Andres!

28 comments:

GameSetCatch said...

looks yummmmmmm!!

me wants one too :)

~ Deeps ~ said...

MF :)

hmm...dont know wat to say....the foodie in me is trying to convince my mind that its not as bad as it looks ..............

i guess i wud skip it.......

Anonymous said...

grasshopper??!! i thot u have to eat all these only if u are in china, korea, etc....

Sayantani, this is making me afraid!!

have to go to lunch now.... (arup, forget abt the grasshoppers, man!!)

RB said...

Hmmmm.... :-)

R said...

OH MY GOD

It is not a very bright idea to see something like this, being a vegetarian, just before dinner.
:-/

The Twisted Gourmet said...

You aren't going to be in Moscow when i come this weekend, or else you have been able to eat some boar meat. I have some lying in my fridge.

boohoo :)

Vir Nakai said...

nice... looks like a great snack..

Anonymous said...

I so much side Rohit on this one!me a veggy too!

Unknown said...

@ gamesetcatch
Will get you some when I return. :)

@ D
MF???
Kaise?
It's quite interesting to eat you know. Don't say "no" itni jaldi.

@ Arup
What was lunch? :)

@ Richa
Hmmm tere ko bhi.

@ Rohit
To baad mein dekhna tha...after dinner, during dessert.

@ Shardul
Ah...really?
Which will also be the reason why I will forget to pack any beef curry for you next time M goes to Seattle.

@ Vir
It sure is. Quite tangy actually.

@ Praveen
I will remember to get some for you too when I return. :)

@ Komal
Hmm...have you tried anything outside the veggie world ever though?

Banvri said...

cant think of grasshopper in my plate :P


crunchy n salty :P

Vir Nakai said...

should be great with some beer then hhmmmmmm beer!!

Komal said...

never..ever!don`t even want to!!

Unknown said...

@ Chitrangada
Who is asking you to keep them on your plate? You are supposed to eat them remember? So, imagine them in your mouth. :D

@ Vir
American beer confuses me. Will wait for the time to return and have a beer cum grasshopper conversation with you.

@ Komal
My only gyan...never say never. You can never really predict the future, can you? :)

Anonymous said...

I ate them too!!
I ate them too!!!
I ate them too!!!!

they were good.. reminded me of amla supari!!

yum!!

Unknown said...

@ Manasi
Yes, you did, you did, you did. I Am proud of you.
Andres has promised more exotic goods in the future...stay tuned.

Vir Nakai said...

so then drink kingfisher...I know you get it in Denver.. ask Brijesh to send some if you dont get it in moscow :)

Anonymous said...

yaaaaaaaaaaaa 8-O
GRASSHOPPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
u actually actually actually ATE them!!
wooooooooooooooow
rezpect!
u have guts - i would rather have... ummm... say... my legs waxed or something!! ;-P

btw the word confirmation reflects my state of mind - eggads! :-D

Komal said...

can`t predict the future..true.
but i don`t really think i would do that even if i am dying of hunger!

R said...

YIKES

Unknown said...

@ Vir
Sounds like a plan.

@ Keka
Yes, I actually actually actually ate them. :D
And believe me, it was far easier than getting anything waxed.

@ Komal
Chal, maanli teri baat.

@ Rohit
:D

Anonymous said...

Ami o khaboooooo...

That Girl said...

Wow, you're adventurous. Me being a vegetarian, I can't even imagine saying yes to a treat like that :)

burf said...

yuk, i just somehow kept myself from pukin

~burf

Jayant said...

Ewwwwww!! I just hope they were dead before you bit into them. :P
Again, Ewwwwww!!

Unknown said...

Grasshoppers..heard that one the first time !
am not going to try it EVER but am proud u did it!
keep us posted ..

Unknown said...

@ Aritro
Tor jonne niye aashbo.

@ Amiya
That I am. :)

@ Burf
One man's porn is another man's art. Close-mindedness may not be the best approach in life.

@ Jayant
Nahin...they were running around the room...I ran behind them, caught them, and then stuffed them into my mouth while they were still wriggling. :D

@ Suru
Thank you!

Jayant said...

Ah, now THAT sounds like fun! :D

Unknown said...

@ Jayant
It was.
Except the time when they were wriggling inside my mouth. I could feel their eight legs squirming against the walls of my mouth.