Saturday, May 26, 2007

Thoughts from a Cafe

I am sitting in a café I have just discovered in Moscow. It’s called Sisters’ Brew. The walls are red, orange and black. The floor is tiled and carpeted alternately. There are comfortable couches, cane chairs, and straight backed chairs with desks. There are Van Gogh-ish paintings on the walls, and focused as well as dim lighting around me. And there is a gigantic bookshelf packed with books. The overall ambience is one of ornate yet casual comfort. The best part is that just because it’s a Saturday and warm outside, there aren’t hordes of wanna-be-mod couples piled on top of each other. The staff knows what it is serving. (They certainly serve excellent chocolate cake and iced mocha. By the way, the mocha came in a gigantic beer mug.) I am on a green upholstered sofa myself, half sitting, half lazing. A local musician will be playing here in a few hours’ time. I am excited about that. Until then, I will blog, read a bit, work on one of the four pieces of writing I am currently involved with, touch base with a few friends, and maybe if really motivated…take a nap as well.

I saw several movies in the last ten days or so. Here is a quick list of them:
1. The Namesake: For the first time in my experience, the movie was almost as good as the book. Wonderful performances, the same joys and frustrations as in the book, a better understanding of what Ashima means when she says, “I don’t want to bring up my son in this lonely country”, and immense appreciation for Tabu’s very authentically Bengali looking hair, if you know what I mean.

2. Shrek 3: Super awesome, the best Shrek movie ever, the scriptwriters have such a wicked and sarcastic sense of humor, I bow my head to them. It’s a full 10/10 movie so no more to say about it, just watch it.

3. Bheja Fry: Hilarious. Nutty. Wonderfully fresh and new.

4. Tara Rum Pum Pum: Rani and Saif, aside from other stupidities in this movie, have two children as well. They are called Champ and Princess. WHO, really WHO, gives their children such pet dog like names?

5. Pirates of the Caribbean- The End of the World: So much for rushing to catch the first day first show given my obsession with the first part of this trilogy and my appreciation for the second part. But this one? I did not understand a word. It was confusing, it was silly, it was boring. I yawned and nearly dropped off to sleep at some points. My advice: Do NOT spend money on it.

I listened twice to my favorite piece of contemporary Hindi film poetry yesterday. It’s from Lage Raho Munnabhai, and this is the piece with which Vidya Balan makes her appearance (remember she is a radio jockey in the movie?). Not only are the lines beautiful, she narrates them so wonderfully that their beauty comes across even more effectively.

Sheher ki iss daur mein daur ke karna kya hain
Agar yahi jeena hain doston, to marna kya hain
Pehli barish mein train late hone ki fikr hain
Bhool gaye bhigte huye tehelna kya hain
Serial ke kirdaron ka saara haal hain maloom
Parr Ma ka haal poochhne ki phursat kahan hain
Ab reth mein nange paon tehelte kyon nahin
Ek sau aath hain channel par dil behelte kyon nahin
Internet pe duniye se to touch mein hain
Lekin pados mein kaun rehta hain jante tak nahin
Mobile, landline, sab ki bharmar hain
Lekin jigri dost tak pahunche aise taar kahan hain
Kab doobte huye sooraj ko dekha tha yaad hain
Kab jaana tha shaam ka guzarna kya hain
To shahr ki iss daur mein daur kar karna kya hain
Agar yahi jeena hain to marna kya hain?

Simple, easy to understand, and straight to the point, just the things that according to me make good writing. Now, if you will excuse me...I have an iced mocha to go back to.

32 comments:

dipthought said...

"...and immense appreciation for Tabu’s very authentically Bengali looking hair"

Only if her Bengali accent was half as good. *sigh*

Jayant said...

Red, orange and black? Wow! A bit like your template, no?

How did you ever finish that Mocha?

Damn! I still haven't seen The Namesake.

Dying to watch Shrek 3.

Ditto for Bhejaa Fry.

Champ and Princess? Uhhh...

POTC is really that bad? Now, that one's a shocker! :O

Never heard those lines, but they're pretty good. So, now I can say there is atleast one thing that I like about the movie.

Convivial said...

agree with the above comment.. irrfan khan ke beshi bhalo laglo..
though acting wise tabu khub i bhalo korechhe.. i even like gogol ie kal penn..

and eita amaar o khub bhalo lage.. so true ..
tumi o ekdom exact describe korechho
Simple, easy to understand, and straight to the point

& ICED mocha in a gigantic beer mug

YUMMM!!!

Convivial said...

btw above comment meant the first one..!!

and yea.. LRM is coming on sony today.. so will again catch up with those lines.. the picturisation in these lines is also gud..!

Unknown said...

@ Dipthought
Well, it worked well enough for me. Your standards must be exceptionally high.

@ Jayant
1. Yes, a lot like my template.
2. I finished that mocha with a lot of patience and lip smacking.
3. Catch The Namesake today.
4. I will have to buy Shrek 3. It is that good.
5. Good to know that. Bheja Fry is worth the effort.
6. More like "Yuck, thoo, splat."
7. Really, POTC was sad as hell.
8. You know I didnt like Lage Raho Munnabhai when I saw it the first time. I thought it was way too ambitious and to an extent, silly. But when I gave it a second shot, it seemed a well made film. Maybe you will have a similar opinion!

@ Convivial
As I said before, I thought Tabu was quite perfect. And good to know that you will be watching LRM today and paying attention to those lines. :)

dipthought said...

There are two ways of looking at everything! (Hint: think antonyms.)

For anyone using Bengali as the primary language all their lifetime, it did sound severely out of place, and at times that made the acting out of sync. Irfan Khan was much better, still not perfect though. I agree that inspite of that, the movie was reasonably well made, with all the sentimental moments magnified.

R said...

This is a superb post, to begin with.

The Namesake? YES. I agree. Although, English, August was a shining exception too. Otherwise, they usually screw the book successfully.

How was the local musician? What did he play? Classical, eh?



I still don't believe you had the time and patience to watch that Rani and Saif movie.
(Yash Raj Films and everyone involved - please die.)

~ Deeps ~ said...

i wud certainly watch pirates of carribean just cuz its the final part.....shrek 3 will also be released next weekend...so both are on must watch list........
this cafe sounds exciting....and those lines are among the best ones in recent times in hindi poetry........

Vir Nakai said...

hmm about shrek i agree saw it yesterday and loved the snow white scene man it was great...

namesake was good .. yea

ok i cant help it but Rohit i will pass the message on to my fiancee for both Namesake and Ta Ra Rum Pum.. lol sorry i couldnt help my self it was so inviting lol ...

Kanika said...

Sounds dreamy...chocolate cake and iced mocha...well if only I could enjoy a warm cup of coffee!!! For my current state, I am sitting on my desk, my eyes do drift out of the window and can feel the heat outside as people constantly rush in and out of the building, cars cross the road endlessly and the lines just feel perfect no matter how many times you hear them. My tea is too sweet but I would finish it.

Wish I could sit by a spot like that one where the world just rushes past you...can recall a few lines from a poem I once wrote inspired by the comfortable solitude...

Ruins of Stone and Palaces of Glass!

Shrek 3...waiting

Jayant said...

@ Rohit: (Yash Raj Films and everyone involved - please die.)

Ah, if only.

Komal said...

There is an added flavor to the post..(iced mocha was on my mind all through):p

Simple and effective writing is what I am working on these days.I remember this remark made by my teacher..."unnecessary use of inflated language puts out the reader and hence your purpose is half defeated"..how true,nai??

between "Sisters’ Brew" is an interesting name!!:D

mayuri said...

ummmm....hope u enjoyed ur iced mocha to the last sip :)
pls tell me more about those paintings on the walls of the cafe :)
i have watched 'bheja-fry' and liked it immensely! 'shrek-3' is good, but i still think shrek-1 to be the best of the series :)

Titash said...

I have not seen any of the movies yet, been busy with exams but I am looking for to Shrek 3 too.

b. said...

Had a good time reading thru it!!

The people serving should have a good idea about what they are serving...surely!

And these lines from the movie were too good!! We seem to know it all but still we go with the flow of things....any guesses why? :)

Banvri said...

Black n orange ..nice combi :)

The namesake is fab ..i loved that movie but i guess kal pen was awesome in this :)

Tara rum pum is ok sort ..but this is or kids ? still have onusion ..
i haven seen shrek 3 ...but nexst is shrek 3 :D

The Twisted Gourmet said...

Namesake was awesome ,but Mr Penn didn't justify his role. His acting was 2 out of 5 stars. His "I am dead serious" look is dreadfully comical. I am surprised no one noticed it..maybe his acting was not bad but just average. However given the fact that the rest of the movie was perrrrfect, his part stood out as distrubingly mediocre.

Unknown said...

@ Dipthought
Clearly, you are tough to please.

@ Rohit
Thank you for liking the post. The local musician wasn't supposed to be classical. But I couldn't find out. I was dragged out by friends. Not that I complained, they were making Mexican food for dinner.

@ D
Yeah I understood your reasons for wanting to watch Pirates. Let me know what you think about it.

@ Vir
Yeah, Snow White and the other fairy tale princesses were awesome. What humor in their depiction. Good stuff.

@ Kanu
:) DO NOT envy me much. Once classes begin, there is very little time to enjoy breathing let alone do anything else!
I am waiting for the poem. It's got me intrigued.

@ Komal.
Hee hee. Extra flavored post? Hmm. :)
So, when do I get to see some of your writing?

@ Mayuri
Yes, the iced mocha was good. As was the coffee shake I had today. :) Ok so now about the paintings. You know, they are all different kinds. Some are oils, some crayons, some watercolors. Most have "Nature" as the theme. And there are photographs too. But every frame, every canvas is different in size, depth, dimension.

@ Titash
Hope your exams went well and that Shrek 3 releases there ASAP.

@ B
Tough question poochh liya! Jawab nahin hain. Maybe we spend too much time thinking whether our gestures will be reciprocated? Whether the other person will respond in the same way?

@ Chitrangada
You bet. The walls here are fab. What other movies have you seen recently?

@ Shardul
I disagree completely, Kerkar. I thought Kal Penn was good. You have seen too many Harold and Kumar movies, which is why you couldn't accept Penn in this avatar.

Butterfly said...

I've "The Namesake" too. Awesome movie.I liked Tabu too. But, I liked Kal Penn even more.
Btw, The name of the film is "Ta Ra Rum Pum", not "Ta Ra Rum Pum Pum".I don't want to watch the movie at all coz all those who have seen it, have said that it is very boring.
But, I'm dying to watch HP5. I'm just counting the no. of days left for its release. U had asked me the cost of HP7 in Indian rupees. I don't know the exact cost coz they took an advance of only 300 Rs. But, it must be costing around 1000 Rs.

Banvri said...

loads of movies :D

If only ( hard core romantic ),Life in metro ( not a bad movie ), ek chalees in last metro ( i call that refreshing as i felt really good aft long wrking hours ), spiderman 3 ( bollywood version of spidy )

looking for more n reason behind this long list of movies is that my office and adlabs are on same floor :))

Banvri said...

ek chalees ki last local :P

correction :D

Unknown said...

@ Butterfly
Yeah, I remember reading that you have pre-ordered HP7. You know how jealous I am. :)

@ Chitrangada
Thanks. Which means two more movies to catch up with.

RB said...

I loved The Namesake and Bheja Fry.
I'd noticed Tabu's hair. They looked beautiful, very Bengali.

The lines from Munna Bhai are remarkable. But I don't think I noticed them too well during the movie. Glad you put them here.

R said...

@ Jayant
Kya bolta hai, hum hi kuch karte hain.
x-(

Keka said...

HP 7 is gonna cost around 800 something in INR.. booked it at family book store on park st for a discount... so butterfly might consider that!
havent seen and do not intend to see tara rums and pums and whatevers..
namesake was ok... it was a nice INDIAN movie... but as a movie with a bengali bkgrd... er.. it was lacking! irrfan was good... tabu was nice but she didnt look bong at all... i so wish a bengali actress could have played the role... nice looking lady from hyd is all that i can say .. kal penn wasnt bad... there were a number of anomalies.. but it was bearable... doesnt surpass monsoon wedding..
shrek 3 - weekend?
pirates - hmmmm but i still GOTTA see depp!!
bheja fry - now everyone's been saying good stuff abt this movie - still havent got around to watching it!
(i may actually be movie deprived... sad!)
cafe sounds awesome, mocha sounds wonderful and the chocolate cake sounds just yummmmmmmm

Unknown said...

@ Aarbee
Glad to know at least someone else noticed Tabu's hair. :)

@ Keka
Not only do I disagree with most of what you have said about The Namesake, I am intrigued by your calling Monsoon Wedding better. I wasn't aware that there had to be a necessary comparison between the two!

Anonymous said...

hey! it's late and i am sleepy but i still have to answer!!!
i know it was an unfair comparison but one that rises eventually... the past is the background to all that is present... a comparison to monsoon wedding is kinda inevitable... at least to me! somehow delhi was so much a character in the movie that i had big plans for kolkata in the namesake...
and yes... i am finicky... i like to get details right... tabu's attempts at bangla were abominable! i know i am nitpicking and all... but i so admire her as an actress that i want her to be PERFECT!
she JUST doesnt look bengali... the way she wears the saree, and even the colors she wore, the way she walked, most definitely the way she spoke, her mannerisms... were not bengali!
the way her character was sketched in the book, i felt that being "bengali" was an important part of the character... somehow with her, it was lacking... she plays a gorgeous indian woman, with strength and angst et al... but truly speaking, she didnt look remotely bengali... :-( especially not an uttor kolkata bangali... :-( i am sorry, but that is what i felt!
and to continue with the nitpicking... there were anomalous posters on the wall and the sequence of loha, pola, shNakha on tabu's hands were wrong... er... minor details, but say someone like rituporno keeps them in mind... case in point being raincoat for example, while not a particularly entertaining movie, it was a compelling watch for me at least because of the way he translates scenes like the falling rain and thunder into emotions... how he makes a non-actor like ash look limpid and wary and disillusioned... of course i felt ajay wasnt too happening in the flashback shots but he was awesome in the current time frame...
whatever....

Unknown said...

@ Keka
Maybe Delhi was a character in Monsoon Wedding because it is such a city with character? And maybe Calcutta isn't? ;D
Willing me to die right now, aren't you?
I loved Tabu and thought her to be rather perfect. But I see your points. The shankha pola sequence certainly is important and I guess I didn't notice because my mother doesn't wear them. But valid, very valid. Thanks for pointing it out.
I wish we could have this conversation at Kewpie's! :(

Ritwick Sanyal said...

Very nice lines from the Movie Laage Raho Munnabhai..thanks for publishing it in ur blog...

Anonymous said...

me too!! havent been to kewpies for so long :-D and woe be whoever says kolkata doesnt have character!! :-P that is such a non-statement that it doesnt even deserve a mention........
and watch pratidwandi, mahanagar, and probably a thousand other movies (which i cannot name - woe to me)
jaihok - please lets have this conversation over a steaming aamish plate of mouthwatering goodies at kewpies when you guys will be in kolkata..........

Unknown said...

@ ritwik
Thanks for visiting my blog. And also for your kind words. Hope to see you around again.

@ Keka
Kewpies bhabtei onek gulo bhalo bhalo jinish chokher shamne naachte shuru korlo. :(

Unknown said...

hello stranger from moscow-that-discovered-a-new-cafe :0)

it seems like i have been searchin for this poem ever since i saw the film when it was released!

i never saw it again, or i should say was too lazy to watch it again in order to get the radio poem

i found it now! :0)
thanks a bunches!