It’s been three days and I am still haunted by him.
On Friday night, some of my friends took me to see Into the Wild. Based on Jon Krakauer’s book by the same name, the film traces the last two years of the life of Chris McCandless, an intense and smart young man who decided to give up a cushiony life and comfortable future for living it out in Alaska. All by himself and by the dint of what he could get off the landscape through hunting, fishing, and foraging. Like primordial men, far away from the glitter and dirt of civilization.
The book is not a work of fiction. Google Chris McCandless and Jon Kraukauer and you will be surprised by the number of entries and devotees this story has gathered. Which is interesting and tells you straight on that there must be something special in the whole saga. Still, before leaving for the film that night, and also because I hadn’t read the book, I was skeptical. I had already been told the plot and I was willing to dismiss the whole idea as bizarre and foolishly romantic.
But then, I saw the film. I saw Emile Hirsch play the character of Chris McCandless and do an excellent job of it. His rendition of a man haunted by inner demons, convinced of the power of dreams, and a passion for living on his terms stunned me in to disbelief. Although I did not become a convert to the cause, nor am I even toying with the idea of visiting Alaska for pleasure unless it’s in the peak of summer and in select areas because I hate snow and ice too much, I am convinced of the message McCandless transmitted, and that is, the need to live and not just exist.
It’s been three days and I cannot wipe McCandless away from my mind. Here are two things I have enjoyed, and maybe, so will you. The first is a link to the article Kraukauer wrote before writing the book. It is a fascinating and gripping piece of writing and I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the entire article available for free online. The second is the link to one of the most perfect songs I have ever heard. It is by Eddie Vedder (from Pearl Jam). It is called Hard Sun, and it is my most favorite track from the wonderful music of this memorable film.
McCandless was twenty-four at the time of his death. And the heaviest load in his backpack was from a library of nine to ten books including Lenin and Thoreau.
Monday, October 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
ME FIRST. HA.
Sounds good.. but I can't sit and read right now, however I must mention that stuff you recommend here is always worth it, but I have to run - the time to leave my house for that perfect day at office is here. Where everything is about that one client who doesn't know what he wants and when people actually do something about it, finds some ridiculously innovative ways to find his stand.
Will read later. So glad you updated. =)
Oh, and Eddie is a mind____ing performer. He is one of the major reasons why I still love that band - not forgetting Mike McCready.
:( Me 3rd or maybe second :|
"the need to live and not just exist" sahi!!!
Will read the article and listen to the song and then come back here :)
Hmm so I am back...Loved the article as well as the song...you recommend good stuff... must say :)
And now the article is haunting Skeets :|
read the article........good stuff and feel pretty sad for the guy........
We all share a need to live and not just exist....somehow...at times when life beckons you to do that, the heart yearns for a few peaceful years of plain existence...havent read the article yet but would go through it...
I am sorry for I might sound a bit pessimistic here but the truth that haunts me now is that when we try to hard to live and not merely exist...your very existence is threatened...forget life.
@ Rohit
I am glad you are glad. =)
@ Reeta
Happy to have recommended good stuff. Hasn't the movie released in India?
@ D
Yes, the last half hour of the movie is quite brutal.
@ Kanu
What is plain living to one person might be exciting to another. So I don't think there can be any uniformity as far as this. Do explain what you mean by plain living though. Secondly, you are not sounding pessimistic at all. I am just curious to understand your stand somewhat better.
I didn't feel anything after reading the article.
Ah ...how do i comment on this!! First of all it really pleased me that you did a lot of research about a movie you watched. I do that all the time and its funny how a movie means so much more once you know the history behind it.
As far as McCandless goes , I read that article a few years ago and I remember thinking that either this guy committed suicide or he was a fool! Intriguing part is there is evidence refuting both and I could be wrong on both counts.
@ Aarbee
Ok.
@ Twisted Gourmet
Now that you are in Moscow for the weekend, you will manage to see my obsession for the song. I am keen to know what you make of "Hard Sun."
Pata ni Woodie :( Shall find out if it is playing somewhere. I do not like to see movies on DVD.
This did sound spooky....
Good read and the article was so well written.
Interesting post and I'm sure that the movie is terrific...but I wonder if the story would seem half as romantic if he weren't 24 and so idealistic. And more than that, would he have been quite so idealistic but for his affluent background? ...Just thinking aloud here :)
"The need to live and not just exist"....Now, that's a wonderful line!We really must enjoy life...not just live for the sake of living...
But, I'll listen to the song later. Article was very good.
Love the look, Dasgupta, love it.
I read alot abt this book n movie n in fact googled abt that guy ...
but i don know y but that article isn opening ...
tag line is kinda enthusiastic but y sad ending with a question whether he committed a suicide or not ..
i am downloading this flick :)
lemme watch it :D
I watched it last week and it was unbelievable. The music, the narrative and the imagery. Perfect. I've been listening to Hard sun again and again since then too! and society :)
and when he writes - "Happiness is only real when shared" Oh god, brilliant brilliant film.
Post a Comment