My football-crazy demented brother’s charming friend, Komal, nudged me this morning and reminded me that it’s been awhile since I’ve updated my blog. Suitably nudged, here I am, this is me, there is nowhere else on earth I would rather be...you get the drift, right? Komal asked me to write about my days in Stephen’s, but I will leave that for a later day...too many memories to be packed into one post. So a different one today, but one that I was thinking of writing last Sunday in fact, while having lunch with my family...one of the rare occasions when all of us are at home at the same time and are eating together.
My father, or Baba as my brother and I call him, is a very disciplined man...be it about his life, its myriad dimensions, his hobbies, his website, his daily yoga, the number of calls to be made to his daughter in a day (three in all...will I ever find a more devoted man?), the kind of books, movies, music to enjoy and remember...everything. The only exception to the rule? His love for jalebis. They could be piping hot or blandly cold, from the fanciest store or from the shadiest cart, as long as they are jalebis they can and should be revered.
One of Baba’s most endearing habits can be seen at the dining table. The scene is always somewhat like this. Baba sits at the head of the table, flanking him on either side are Ma and I, and beside me my brother. The process of helping ourselves to the food is quite democratic. Either Ma ladles it out or we help ourselves. And when we need second helpings it’s again the same democratic process indeed. But there is an exception to this rule as well. At the time of the second helping, if Ma is not seated with us — maybe she has gone to answer a phone call or is adding a last minute garnish — and my brother or I happen to ask Baba whether we should put some for him, his answer invariably is, “No”. Always, and without fail. Never ever will he say, “Yes”, unless and until the questioner is my mother. Either she will ask him or will directly put food on his plate, and rarely if ever will he protest. She is the only person whose question or insistence can make all the difference between whether my father just eats or eats well.
So to all those of us, who have either found that person whose one sentence alone can make all the difference between contentment and sheer bliss, or are still in search, may the journey be rewarding even if it is as circuitous as a jalebi.
Thursday, May 25, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Me first.
Where is Rohit?
Even democracy needs leaders; the one person around whom the system revolves. Clearly the president (your dad at the head of the table) needs the prime minister (your mom).
would you trust me if i tell you that i wanted to write about my pa?
why do you steal ideas?
Ok, So even the other Bong is fighting for Me First?!
Bhalo.
Seems it's the same everywhere, with all Dads!
hmm gud post....
wat website ?
why dont u dedicate a post for ur football crazy bro and manchester united :D
hmmm...my nudging worked! great!
this time a "cute" post..
that is so romantic..
how efficiently gestures like these make that special someone feel important and loved...
oye, this is sweet. i guess it's almost the same scene in every household here.
and i love jalebi too!! yummm...
Another SUPERBBBBB post!!!!!!!!!
What a connection between jalebis and path to find soulmate :)
And I guess all Dads r just the same!!!!!
AMAZING!
@ Subhadip
Congratulations!
Love your analogy of democracy, president and prime minister in this context. Very original.
@ Prashant
GAWD! When will you stop being your usual copycat self?
@ Rohit
Bongs are very creative people after all. Khub bhalo indeed. :)
@ D
Dad's personal website.
And bro and ManU? YUCK!!!
@ Komal
Yes baby. This one was completely a result of your nudging. I agree...such gestures are important and lovely.
@ BASTM
To ho jaye tere aur mere dad ke beech mein competition?
@ Aqui
Thank you ma'am.
@ Smita
Thanks tons. I agree the connection between jalebis and finding soulmate is a little far-fetched conventionally, but it did work here, didn't it? :)
I agree with Deepak here. Why not? Your brother and his love for the beautiful game can definitely be a topic. The timing in the wake of world cup is just right. Go for it.
@ Mayuri
Thanks. Cold jalebis with hot milk is a good combo indeed. Haven't tried the other one yet.
And sharing meals is a very important part of life indeed. Food binds people in ways far more different than anything else.
@ Subhadip
You ARE so dead now.
Its a beautiful post about ur Baba .. and i guess all papa are same coz this the same case wid my papa .. I always admire the bonding b/w my my mom n papa ..This is such a lovely Post ..
:)
@ Nobody
Fabulous idea. Thanks. Now can hardly wait for the day to come.
@ Chitrangada
Thanks so much. Yes, I guess all dads are alike in so many ways.
Post a Comment