Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Real Gold

Today morning I dug out an old favorite book to read on my way to work. A collection of Bangla short stories by Satyajit Ray. While flipping through the familiar pages, I chanced upon what had served as the bookmark the last time I had read this book. A Rajdhani train ticket from New Delhi to Calcutta made out in the name of Sayantani Dasgupta, age 19. Dated October 1998, when I was on my way to attend the 50th wedding anniversary of my grandparents.

Although I was the only one from our family in Delhi who went to attend the party, since the others -— meaning Mum, Dad and brother -— were all caught up in various activities, procuring that one ticket was an uphill task. Dad’s regular travel agent had said no, the Pujas were either just over or were round the corner so tickets to Calcutta were as un-gettable as tickets to the moon, I was falling short of attendance in College (there were two teachers whose classes I just couldn’t bring myself to attend therefore bunked their lectures religiously), so ideally couldn’t afford a week-long vacation...but what the hell! Grandparents are special, and this was their special day, so come what may, even if I had to walk it I was going! I was that determined.

Like manna from heaven, a classmate told me about this travel agent in Kamla Nagar who could get you tickets to anywhere anyday. So off we trooped, she leading the way, I following her with my fingers tightly crossed, and with us, my friends -— Andy, Sakthy (you might remember her, she taught “What If”), and Sachin. One look at his shady office and my heart sank further, but wonder of wonders, he promised me a ticket, for the very day I wanted to leave for Calcutta. Next morning, we (yes, all of us loved bunking) went and picked up the to and fro tickets.

The party was immensely enjoyable. There were about 75 invitees but that wasn’t my real reason for wanting to attend it. Nor was it just because we were celebrating fifty years of togetherness. It was because I had to salute my grandparents’ indomitable spirit and romance, I had to celebrate their incredible love story. My grandparents had fallen in love with each other when they were students in the same school. Once news of their romance leaked out, they faced tremendous opposition because of social and economic differences between the two families. So they eloped (we are talking pre-Independence days here) from their village in Bangladesh to Calcutta, got married, my grandfather broke his right arm in the process so his “signature” on the marriage certificate is his thumbprint. With tremendous kick-ass attitude they returned to the village, caused a huge scandal in the whole district of Chittagong, continued facing terrible setbacks including the Partition, yet all turned out for the better. They came to Calcutta, settled down, my grandmother went on to do her Master’s, and my grandfather joined the civil services. Bit by bit, they made a family and built a home.

I’m pleased that I wrote this today. In a world where relationships are fragile, where people are cynical and judgmental, where neither of the partners has either the time or the patience to make a relationship work, where in spite of tremendous chemistry between two people commitment is still a phobia...here is the most priceless love story I have ever come across.

To my grandparents’ delicious madness! (Hoping that some of it has rubbed on to their first grandchild as well.)

15 comments:

R said...

SayanDi, I'm first. :D

FUNDOO Grandfolks!

I remember, two years back, we organised a pseudo wedding anniversary for our Grandparents...And they were SO embarassed...and amazingly cute... together.. once more..!

R said...

I meant wedding ceremony there..

Sheesh.. Typo! :(

~ Deeps ~ said...

seriously.......hats off to them.....such a gr8 couple......i wish i cud meet them sometime........

Richa said...

this is one of the best things i've ever read.
your grandparents are so awesome. now i know that the 'coolness' factor is in the blood...the first grandchild is gifted.
really amazing story.

and u lucky asses had no internal assessment hassles. bunk classes now and u lose 4% in every paper. do u know how much that is?????????

~ ॐ ~ said...

wah wah !!!

don't i totally love the way you write...

i think one writer i would love to read would be Sayantani Dasgupta...

and am i getting all autographed copies from her?

b. said...

Arre wah...yeh to puri filmy story hai :). Kudos to Dasguta Seniors!!

Liked the way you wrote the post...specially the second last para!!

But I guess those were different times...

Anonymous said...

No doubt its touching ....

but more so b'cos of the way u write...

So Kudos to u... :)

Subhadip said...

Wow... Nostalgia! Your grandparents rock!

Your grandparents are from Chittagong! I worked there for two years when I was with Aptech.

Unknown said...

@ Rohit
Congrats! :D
Yesss..fundoo is the word.

@ Mayuri
Thanks babe!

@ D
Thanks! Next time when they're here in Delhi.

@ BASTM
:D Love you baby!
And we had internal assesment in Stephen's. Nearly got detained one year!!! Dont remind me of it.

@ Aqui
I know..I just wish I have learnt atleast something from them.

@ Om
You made my day! Of course you will get autographed copies.

@ B
Have the times really changed that much?

@ Smita
Thank you ma'am. Honoured.

@ Subhadip
I have to go to Chittagong atleast once in my life. And yeah my grandparents do rock! :D

b. said...

Ya I would think so... patience and tolerence is considerably less!!

Its an age of instant gratification... No wonder families are breaking up.

PS: I am in no way trying to suggest that similar stories of determination and selfless love can't happen at our times..

étincelle said...

Hey that's an amazing story...you should write their story as a novel or something..I'm sure it'll be a huge success.
Btw, are you planning on being part of a major love story too and is there anything or anyone that we - as concerned friends - should know about?? :)

Banvri said...

Hey this simply sweet

n i really like the last para ..
infact i really love the way u describe the love b/w ur grandparent ..:)

u r so good in expressing ur thought ..:)

Anonymous said...

This is by all means your best post....wow!
What a story..!!It somehow reminds me of the novel 'Shadow Lines' and the pre-independence days..
Your grandparents are sooo sooo cool, I wonder why Aritro never told us about them..

Anonymous said...

and yah needless to say U write amazingly well..everyone knows it by now!
One more thing...when are we having the second "WHAT IT" competition??

Unknown said...

@ B
I agree with you totally. We want everything the moment we think about them! No time or patience anymore. I myself am an example of this.

@ Etincelle
Hmm...that's a thought. Thanks will give this some serious pondering.
And my romance? Erm...shall we leave it for a phone conversation?

@ Chitrangada
Thanks so much.

@ Komal
Thanks babe. To answer your question, "Because Aritro is an ass!" :D
And next competition, whether What If or otherwise, will come soon. Keep watching this space!